Foundation / Corporation
Morris Animal Foundation
07/10/19 11:59 PM EST
Grants to USA, Canada, and International researchers and research teams associated with institutions for projects that improve the health and welfare of large companion animals, such as horses, llamas, and alpacas. Animal health research projects must be humane, hypothesis-driven, and of high scientific merit and potential impact.
There are four types of grants available:
- Established Investigator grants are designed to provide funding for research by individuals and teams with a previous record of research and publication.
- Fellowship Training grants are designed to assist new investigators in launching a successful research career by providing salary support in a quality mentoring environment.
- First Award grants are designed to assist new faculty in establishing a successful research program.
- Pilot Study grants are designed to provide funding for innovative ideas to accelerate discovery and advance MAF’s mission.
GrantWatch ID#: 181760
Established Investigator: There is no limit to the annual budget request; however, the average award is approximately $50,000 per year.
Pilot Study: The budget cannot exceed $10,800 ($10,000 plus 8 percent for indirect costs if charged by the institution).
First Award Funding: The budget cannot exceed $54,000 per year ($50,000 per year, plus 8 percent for indirect costs if charged by the institution).
Fellowship Training: The budget cannot exceed $50,000 (including benefits and indirect costs) per year. Funds for this award can be used solely for the fellow’s salary.
Established Investigator: Maximum study duration is three years.
First Award and Fellowship Training: The maximum study duration is two years.
Pilot Study: A maximum of one year is permitted.
-Morris Animal Foundation funds companion animal and wildlife scientific health and welfare projects all over the world. It is not necessary to be a U.S. citizen to apply.
- The Foundation cannot accept submissions from individuals. Applicants must apply through an institution that can enter into a legal contract (Grant-in-Aid Agreement) with the Foundation.
- While most of Morris Animal Foundation grants are awarded to veterinary schools and conservation organizations, other types of groups or organizations can receive awards if they adhere to the Foundation's guidelines and are pertinent to its mission.
Established Investigator: All investigators are eligible to apply. Competitive applicants have a previous record of research and publication.
First Award applicants must have a DVM and/or PhD and a full-time, permanent position in a university, accredited zoo or conservation organization. Applicants must not have received previous funding as a principal investigator or co-principal investigator for more than $20,000 for any single extramural award.
Fellowship Training applicants must have a DVM and/or PhD and be a full-time graduate student or have a postdoctoral research appointment. Applicants must not have completed more than two years of full-time postdoctoral research training on the proposed project. Applicants must devote at least 75 percent of their time to the funded research.
Eligible Pilot Study applicants: All investigators are eligible to apply.
- The Foundation does not award grants to fund the costs of administration, training programs, educational outreach or operational structure of animal shelters, rehabilitation centers, wildlife sanctuaries, etc. However, the Foundation does support animal health research projects that may have a shelter component.
- The Foundation does not provide funding for agricultural animal health studies.
It is not possible to qualify for both the Fellowship Training (as a fellow) and First Award (as the principal investigator) programs.
Proposals are due Wednesday, July 10, 2019, by 11:59 PM EST.
Applicants will receive a written review by the Scientific Advisory Board, along with a notification of funding status, approximately five months after the proposal submission deadline if their proposal advances to a full review. Applicants will be notified approximately three months after the proposal submission deadline If their proposal does not advance to a full review.
MAF permits a maximum of two applications as Principal Investigator per year. A proposal that is not approved for funding can be re-submitted a maximum of two times (three total submissions to MAF).
For information about the decision process: https://www.morrisanimalfoundation.org/article/best-best-how-we-decide-which-animal-health-studies-fund
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply as an Established Investigator: https://www.grantrequest.com/application.aspx?SA=SNA&FID=35068&sid=945
Apply for Fellowship Training: https://www.grantrequest.com/application.aspx?SA=SNA&FID=35069&sid=945
Apply for a First Award: https://www.grantrequest.com/application.aspx?SA=SNA&FID=35070&sid=945
Apply for a Pilot Study: https://www.grantrequest.com/application.aspx?SA=SNA&FID=35073&sid=945
Morris Animal Foundation
720 S. Colorado Blvd., Suite 174A
Denver, CO 80246
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
USA Compact Free Associations: The Federated States of Micronesia (USA) Marshall Islands (USA) Republic of Palau (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.