Foundation / Corporation
Baptist Health Foundation of San Antonio (BHFSA)
Grants to Texas nonprofit organizations in eligible counties to improve the health and the quality of healthcare of local residents. Applicants must submit a letter of intent prior to submitting a full application. Priority will be given to programs that: reduce gaps in service and improve access to healthcare, address health issues of high incidence or among high-risk populations, eliminate disparities in health, offer educational and preventive measures to avert the development of health issues, and provide services that address the needs of the medically vulnerable and consider the continuum of care.
Grants must be for use within at least one of the following Texas counties: Atascosa, Bandera, Bexar, Comal, Guadalupe, Kendall, Medina, and Wilson.
The Foundation will give strong consideration to programs that:
- Are based on best-practices, with measurable and practical outcome evidence.
- Can be replicated, taken to scale, and sustainable.
- Collaborate and partner with faith-based organizations and health agencies.
- Share knowledge within the nonprofit community and among the greater community.
- Seek other funding sources, so that the Foundation is not the sole full funder.
The Foundation will make grants to support general operating expenses, including salaries. However, the organization must be able to sustain these costs beyond the Foundation grant period.
The Foundation will consider paying for a reasonable amount of overhead costs as part of a larger project. This includes time spent by non-program staff (Executive Director, etc.) or other resources used. These expenses must be clearly explained in the proposal request and capped at 10%.
The Foundation may underwrite the costs of individual attendance at pre-identified health-related conferences or symposiums initiated by the Foundation.
GrantWatch ID#: 170719
The Foundation will consider applications up to $300,000. Traditionally, Responsive Grants have ranged from $25,000 to $250,000.
The Board prefers to make single-year grant awards. At the Board’s discretion, multi-year requests (2 or 3 years) may be considered but are rare.
- Funding is provided in support of organizations and programs that address the community’s health need.
- Organizations must have at least one full year of operating history to be considered.
- An organization must be recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c) (3) public charity to be considered for funding.
Restrictions and Limitations:
- Endowments are not funded by the Foundation.
- The Foundation does not fund vehicles.
- Projects seeking funding from the Foundation must benefit the larger community, not a single church/congregation or only members.
- The Foundation does not pay for medical or health-care needs of individuals.
- The Board may fund certain types of medical research. However, these projects will be accepted only at the invitation of the Foundation.
- The Foundation cannot support annual fund drives or other social event activities.
- The Foundation is unable to fund programs of religious, fraternal, athletic, or veteran groups.
Grant Review Timeline:
- April 5, 2019 – The Foundation begins accepting LOIs.
- May 31, 2019, Noon – Cut-off date for LOI submission for consideration in 2019.
- June 24, 2019 – Review of LOIs.
- June 27 – 28, 2019 – Notification sent indicating acceptance or denial of LOI.
- July 26, 2019, Noon – Full applications due.
- July 31 – September 20, 2019 – Review of applications, site visits conducted.
- November 15, 2019 – Funding decisions finalized.
- November 20 – 21, 2019 – Notification sent on funding decision.
- December 10, 2019 – Grant Awards Ceremony.
The Foundation will only consider a Letter of Inquiry (LOI) submitted online. No other formats will be accepted.
The Foundation will only consider one application per organization per year.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To submit an LOI:
Liz Cantu, Executive Assistant, Program Associate
Tel: (210) 735-9009
Baptist Health Foundation
of San Antonio
750 East Mulberry Avenue
San Antonio, Texas
USA: Texas: Atascosa, Bandera, Bexar, Comal, Guadalupe, Kendall, Medina, and Wilson Counties