Foundation / Corporation
04/23/19 5:00 PM PT
Twelve-month fellowships to USA and Canada young social entrepreneurs to foster character building and business skill development. The fellowship includes fundraising support, mentoring, and wilderness-based programs that teach business skills and leadership while building a lifelong support network.
Preference will be given to applicants who come from diverse personal, professional, and cultural backgrounds and experience including, but not limited to, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, education level, culture, religion, disability, physical appearance, or other differences.
Each Fellowship begins with a 20-day team expedition in the Idaho wilderness. The expedition challenges each Fellow physically and emotionally and connects them to the natural world on a very personal level. Fellows are able to unplug, incubate ideas, and envision the true scope of their work and lives while building lifelong bonds with peers and mentors tackling similar challenges. After a year of monthly video calls and mentoring, Fellows return to Idaho to reconnect and float the Salmon River. At the conclusion of the Fellowship, Fellows are welcomed into an active group of alumni and supporters.
- A 20-day team expedition in the Idaho wilderness
- Technical assistance and dedicated mentors
- A tight-knit cadre of alumni working all over the world, including sponsorship to attend annual Fellowship retreats
- Exposure to a growing pool of potential angel investors interested in socially impactful businesses
- Support beyond the official term of their Fellowship through ongoing networking opportunities, knowledge sharing, speaking invitations, and continued inclusion in Wild Gift’s national and international outreach
GrantWatch ID#: 163352
If you are selected as a Wild Gift Fellow, you will receive:
1. The Wild Gift: a guided three week wilderness trek in the Idaho backcountry as well as a one week whitewater river rafting trip on the Salmon River in Idaho.
2. A $500 allowance for airfare to Idaho.
3. A project mentor(s) who will work with you throughout the course of your Fellowship, plus access to a pool of resource mentors to provide specific expertise when needed.
4. Opportunity to participate in Wild Gift alumni retreats and trips.
5. Lifetime membership in the vibrant Wild Gift Network that includes alumni, mentors, and supporters.
The fellowship will run for 12 months. Participation in the Idaho Deep Wilderness Trek (August 17 - September 8, 2019) and the Synergy River Trip (one week TBA in September 2020).
-Applicants must be between the ages of 21 and 35 as of September 1, 2019.
- Wild Gift works with entrepreneurs from with seed stage to fully operating social ventures. At minimum, you should have written plans for a social venture that serves the Wild Gift mission.
-While your social venture can be located anywhere in the world, you must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or Canadian citizen to apply.
-You may apply for the Fellowship Program while you are a full time student. However, you must have completed your studies by the beginning of your Fellowship period. If you are awarded a Wild Gift Fellowship, you are agreeing to make your social venture your primary focus during the Fellowship.
-You do not need to establish 501(c)(3) status or register your organization before you apply.
-Only one founder may apply per organization. As a result, please choose one individual to represent your organization to Wild Gift. However, this does not require you to change your internal leadership structure. Even if only one founder can be a Wild Gift Fellow, you can have as many people leading your organization as you see fit.
Wild Gift does not provide scholarship money or fund research.
Timeline for Applicants and Selection:
- February 1, 2019: Initial application goes live
- April 23, 2019: Initial application deadline
- June 1, 2019: Finalists announced
- June 15, 2019: Second round applications due
- July 2019: New class announced
Your application must be fully completed and uploaded to our website no later than 5 pm Pacific Time on April 21, 2019. You will receive an email acknowledgement when the full application is received. Incomplete or late submissions will not be considered.
Completed applications will be submitted to the selection committee, which is made up of Wild Gift board members and alumni. You will be notified if further information is required.
The selection committee typically selects 10 finalists. A member of the selection committee will contact you informing you of our decision and additional application requirements at that time. They will include submission of a more detailed Social Venture Plan.
Finalists will be given an opportunity to post their profile and social venture concept on the website during the interview process.
Interviews are granted by invitation only. The interview plays a central part in the final selection process. References for finalists will also be interviewed by members of the Selection Committee. The selection committee will announce the new class of fellows in July.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon