City of Seabrook - Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) Funds
Grants to Seabrook, Texas nonprofits, businesses, and groups for events and programs that are likely to increase overnight stays in local lodging facilities. Funding priority will be given to activities that will directly promote Seabrook’s hotel and tourism industry.
By the law of the State of Texas, the City of Seabrook collects a Hotel Occupancy Tax (HOT) from all lodging facilities located within the city limits. According to the law, revenue from the municipal hotel occupancy tax may be used only to promote tourism and the convention and hotel industry, and that use is limited to the following:
1. Convention Centers and Visitor Centers: the acquisition of sites for and the construction, improvement, enlarging, equipping, repairing, operation and maintenance of convention center facilities or visitor information center or both.
2. Registration of Convention Delegates: the furnishing of facilities, personnel and materials for the registration of convention delegates or registrants.
3. Advertising, Solicitation and Promotions: advertising and conducting solicitations and promotional programs to attract tourists and convention delegates or registrants to the municipality or its vicinity.
4. Promotion of the Arts: the encouragement, promotion, improvement and application of the arts; including instrumental and vocal music, dance, drama, folk art, creative writing, architecture, design and allied fields, painting, sculpture, photography, graphic and craft arts, motion pictures, radio, television, tape and sound recording, and other arts related to the presentation, performance, execution, and exhibition of these major art forms.
5. Historical Restoration and Preservation: historical restoration and preservation projects or activities or advertising and conducting solicitation and promotional programs to encourage tourists and convention delegates to visit preserved historic sites, museums or exhibits.
6. Sporting Event Expense: funding certain expenses, including promotional expenses, directly related to a sporting event within counties with a population under 1 million.
7. Sporting Facilities: enhancement or upgrading of existing sports facilities or sports fields for certain municipalities.
8. Transportation of Tourists: funding transportation systems for transporting tourists from hotels to and near the city to any of the following destinations: the commercial center of the city; a convention center in the city; other hotels in or near the city; tourist attractions in or near the city
9. Signage: Signage directing tourists to sights and attractions that are visited frequently by hotel guests in the municipality.
GrantWatch ID#: 150198
Requests will be considered for funding in the 2019-2020 Fiscal Year (October 2019 – September 2020).
The City of Seabrook accepts applications from nonprofits, groups, and businesses whose programs or events fit into one or more of the listed categories.
If an event will not generate hotel activity, it is not eligible for receipt of HOT funds.
Applications for funding a special event and/or program for the 2019-2020 Fiscal Year are due by May 10, 2019. A group that wishes to seek funding for a first-time event after the deadline must do so 90 days prior to said event or program. This only applies to first-time events or programs. All others must meet deadline requirements for the 2019-2020 Fiscal Year.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee during a regular or special meeting held in March. Applicants will be notified prior to the meeting and are encouraged to attend and give feedback to Council. City Council will make a decision on the applicant’s request and supplemental documentation provided. If denied funding, applicants may appeal the decision, in writing within sixty (60) days of Council’s decision. Council may revoke or change the amount allocated at anytime until the FY2019/2020 Budget is adopted. The Budget process usually takes place between June and August each year.
Timeline for 2019-2020 Fiscal Year:
-Application Deadline: Friday May 10, 2019
-City Staff Review: May 10 - May 31, 2019
-City Council Decision: Tuesday, June 18, 2019
-Notification of Council decision by the City of Seabrook: by June 19, 2019
-Decision Appeals must be submitted in writing within sixty (60) days of June 19, 2019
-Disbursement of Funds: Begins after October 1, 2019. Prior to receiving the funds the city must receive an invoice from the approved organization.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
LeaAnn Dearman Petersen, Director of Communication
Seabrook City Council Communications
1700 1st St.
Seabrook, TX 77586
Ph: (281) 291-5600
Fx: (281) 291-5690
USA: Texas: City of Seabrook